Monday, February 2, 2009

What's the Verdict? Let Pack Analyzer Decide

If you frequent the mountains in a variety of seasons, chances are you have a lot of gear. In my case, I have gear for a variety of activities and conditions. How do you decide what to pack and what to leave behind? As the saying goes, "ounces become pounds, and pounds become pain." On the other hand, leaving crucial gear behind is no better. Having found myself in this conundrum many times, I decided to build a solution that eventually became known as Pack Analyzer. Pack Analyzer is a relatively simple MS Excel application that keeps track of all of your gear options and their respective weights. After weighing your gear items and inputting their respective weights into Pack Analyzer, packing becomes a painless and efficient process. As you select/deselect gear items, the pack weight, on-body gear weight and pack list update in real time.

Since building Pack Analyzer, I've cut my packing time down substantially and I no longer leave for trips wondering if I forgot something. It was so useful to me that I decided to share this application with the public for free.

You can download the application here:

http://www.scottborger.com/gallery.php?gallery=packanalyzer

No comments:

Post a Comment